Sunday - March 3, 2019
Skier mass start at 10:00 am.
Snowshoe mass start 10:05 am.
Fatbike mass start 10:10 am.
MT. WASHINGTON’S ONE OF A KIND WINTER CHALLENGE, THE “SKI, SHOE & FATBIKE TO THE CLOUDS” RACE
The Ski, Shoe & Fatbike to the Clouds is in it’s 23nd year! Started in 1996 as “Ski to the Clouds”, a nordic event, the race now includes snowshoes and fatbikes. Held at the base of Mt. Washington on Rt. 16 in Pinkham Notch. 8 miles south of Gorham, NH and 30 minutes north of North Conway, NH.
Long referred to as “North America’s Toughest 10K”, the Ski, Shoe & Fatbike to the Clouds course uses 4k of the Great Glen Trails system, and then 6k on the snow covered Mt. Washington Auto Road with an average grade of 12% and an elevation gain of 2,200 feet.
Ski, Shoe & Fatbike to the Clouds is considered a true freestyle event (there will not be separate classes for classic and skate skiing); entrants are required to complete 10 KM using one pair of skis, snowshoes, or one fatbike (no switching allowed). Participants must be able to comfortably ski, snowshoe, or fatbike six kilometers down the Mt. Washington Auto Road after they finish the race. This is NOT an event for the inexperienced!
All competitors should be at the start area by 9:45 for pre-race announcements. Official timing will end 2 hours after the fatbike start, at 12:10 pm.
Entry fee: Nordic, Snowshoe & Fatbike divisions: $35.00; after February 1st $45
- registration fee includes Great Glen Trails Outdoor Center trails pass for Saturday, March 2rd
- participants may change their race discipline/category until March 2rd at 4pm with a $10 change fee
Registration closes on Saturday, March 2rd at 4:00 pm. There will NOT be day-of registration.
Bib Pick-up & warm clothing bag drop off:
- Saturday - March 2rd, from 12:00-4:00 pm (On-site registration open)
- Sunday - March 3th, from 7:30-9:00 am (NO Registration; bib pick-up and warm clothing drop ONLY).
Cannon fires at 10:00am for skiers, 10:05am for snowshoers and 10:00am for fatbikes.
Thanks to the generosity of our sponsor, Dion Snowshoes, snowshoe racers may reserve a complimentary pair of Dion racing snowshoes for use during the event. This benefit is offered on a first come first serve basis and quantities are limited. You will be asked during registration, if you'd like to reserve a pair of snowshoes for the event.
The first 4 km of the course that winds around Great Glen Trails will be skate groomed in the middle with one classic track set on the outside edge. The Auto Road will be flat groomed; there will not be classic tracks set on the Auto Road.
All racers must bike, ski or snowshoe down from the finish line. If you would like to have warm clothes at the finish, you need to bring the items to Bib-pick up and Warm Clothing Drop-off at Great Glen on Saturday by 4:00pm or by 8:30 am on Sunday morning. The support vehicles (SnowCoaches) will head up the Auto Road with clothes bags shortly after. Plastic bags and tags will be provided by Great Glen but you can bring clothes in your own bag with your name on it if you choose. All racers must bike, ski or snowshoe down from the finish line. It can be quite cold and windy near treeline (finish area) on race day.
Ski, Shoe & Fatbike to the Clouds Rules:
- Nordic ski equipment only.
- USSSA legal snowshoes only.*
- Fatbikes ONLY-Both tires must be wider than 3.7 inches and tire pressure must be less than 10 psi.
- The mass starts will be self-seed, please judge your ability honestly so as not to hinder other competitors’ progress.
- Competitors must stay on race course and follow signs.
- Competitors may wax their skis during the race. Competitors may be handed tools and wax but must do this outside of the track and without the help from any other people.
- When over-taking another competitor whether biker, skier or snowshoer, it is up to you to make the other competitor aware of your presence.
- Snowshoers and bikers must stay out of the groomed ski tracks and warn skiers if they are overtaking them.
- A competitor who is overtaken must give way on the first demand. When overtaking, competitors must not obstruct each other.
- Racers who have finished may slowly and in control, bike, ski or snowshoe down the Auto Road but may not hinder an uphill biker, skier or snowshoers way.
- When biking, skiing and snowshoeing down the Auto Road please stay to the right.
* must be a non-prototype snowshoe designed for an adult that meets or exceeds 120 square inches of functional surface area AND can be no smaller than 7” wide by 20” long. United States Snowshoe Association
Great Glen Trails is an outdoor recreation facility, and as such, weather can dramatically impact events and activities taking place at the site. Events/activities that you are registering for, will only be cancelled for extreme and unsafe weather conditions at the site, not for uncomfortable or seasonal weather events or driving conditions to/from Great Glen Trails.
Severe weather, lack of snow or unsafe conditions may force cancellation or modification of the Ski, Shoe & Fatbike to the Clouds. In the event of a cancellation there will not be a weather date and a 50% refund on individuals' registration fees will be given. The Mt. Washington Summit Road Co. dba Great Glen Trails reserves the right to modify Ski, Shoe & Fatbike to the Clouds to accommodate weather or course conditions. No refunds will be given if the race is held in a modified form.
If you choose to not participate Ski, Shoe and Fatbike to the Clouds, after your registration has been completed and your fee has been caputured, you forfeit your registration fee to Great Glen Trails, regardless of the circumstances of your cancellation.
Your registration is non-transferable, without the expressed written permission of staff at Great Glen Trails.
Awards and Post-race:
- All participants receive Great Glen Trails pass for race weekend: Saturday, March 2rd and Sunday, March 3th
- All finishers receive a medal at the finish line
- All participants receive an entry to the prize raffle!
- Awards and raffle follow the race at approx 1:30pm in the dining room in the Great Glen Base Lodge
- Post-race soup and refreshments provided
- Showers available on the 1st floor ($1.25 for 5 minutes)
Please visit the event website for more detailed information: Ski, Snowshoe, and Fatbike to the Clouds